Procedure to app for and get (National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) exemption letter/certificate, criteria/eligibility for the exemption certificate, how to replace NYSC exemption letter, corrections, and other guidelines.
If you are looking for detailed guidelines on how to get an NYSC exemption letter, this post has the information you need.
What is the NYSC exemption letter?
In my own words, this is an NYSC certificate that is given to those persons who for reasons of age, or by the virtue of their position or service to the country may or should not go for the one year National Youth Service program of the NYSC.
So, if for some reasons you can’t go for the National Youth Service and you still need the NYSC certificate (say for a job, etc), first see eligibility (as stated in this post, below) to know if you can apply or not.
Who Can Get the NYSC Exemption Certificate
- Those who qualify for the NYSC certificate of exemption are graduates who are above 30 years at the time of graduation or recipients of the National Presidential Honours Award,
- Persons who have joined the Armed Forces, Police, National Intelligence Agency (NIA) and the Department of State Security (DSS) are also issued certificates of exemption.
- Letters of exclusion are issued to part-time and distance learning students and those who have not been able to pass through the normal university or polytechnic system.
Requirements For NYSC Certificate Of Exemption Collection
To get the NYSC Certificate Of Exemption Collection / Replacement. You have to who meet the following requirements…
In accordance with the National Youth Service Corps Decree 1993 section 2 subsection (1), it is stipulated that:
“With effect from 1st August 1985, a person shall NOT be called upon to serve in the service corps if, at the date of graduation or obtaining his diploma or other professional qualification” :
- He is over the age of thirty (30) years
- He has served in the Armed Forces of the Federation or the Nigeria Police Force for a period of more than nine months; or
- He is a member of the staff of any of the following:
- He has been conferred with any National Honour.
These categories of persons are therefore exempted from service and issued with the NYSC Certificates of Exemption.
Nigerian Graduates either home or overseas trained who have the stipulated qualification of (B.SC, B.A or HND) from approved or accredited Institution by (NUC, NTBE or NCCE) are eligible for Exemption Certificate however while foreign trained graduates must submit their Certificates at the Mobilization Department for Evaluation.
How to collect NYSC Exemption Certificate
For Home Trained Graduates
The process begins with the Corps Producing Institutions.
- The tertiary institutions attended. The School submits the master list of their graduates alongside with the Senate approved result to NYSC.
- A print-out is processed by NYSC classifying those to be called up for service and those to be exempted. This print-out is sent back to the Institutions for verifications and corrections after which they are returned to NYSC as an agreed/corrected document.
- With the print-out, the Certificates of Exemption are produced, documented and sent back to the Institutions for issuance to the appropriate persons.
- Please note: Collection of Certificate of Exemption for home trained graduates is only done in the Institution of graduation and not in NYSC office.
For Foreign Trained Graduates
- The process begins with the evaluation of credentials and other related documents i.e. International passport.
- After the evaluation of credentials, the foreign-trained graduate is then registered and this is physically done at the NYSC directorate headquarters, Abuja. It is at the point of registration that the classification of who to be called-up or who to be exempted; is determined.
- Certificates of Exemption are therefore produced for those exempted from service.
- Such Certificates of Exemption for foreign graduates are to be collected at the NYSC directorate headquarters at the stipulated time communicated.
- Please note:
Corrections and Complaints on NYSC certificate of exemption
Issues of complaints and corrections for home trained graduates are to be routed through the Institutions of graduation. The school then forwards such cases with necessary attachments such as a photocopy of print-out to NYSC for the purpose of rectification or further necessary action.
Foreign-trained graduates are to submit a handwritten application with the attachment of photocopy of International passport –data page and original Certificate of Exemption to be addressed to the Director-General, NYSC NDHQ, Abuja, indicating their address and telephone number.
How to replace NYSC Exemption Certificate
In the case of loss of Certificate of Exemption, the following steps are to be taken.
Home Trained Graduates
- A letter of notification/request routed through the Institution of graduation and addressed to the Director-General, NYSC.
- Police Extract/Report
- Court Affidavit
- Where available, a copy of the lost Certificate of Exemption
Foreign Trained Candidates
- A letter of notification/request addressed to the Director-General, NYSC.
- Police Extract/Report
- Court Affidavit
- Photocopy of International passport
- Where available, the copy of the lost Certificate of Exemption
It is the policy of the Scheme not to reprint lost or burnt Certificates. Letters of Confirmation are issued instead.